We are converting a regular traffic light to a Peace-Love-Linux traffic light.
- 3 * 3W RGB LEDs.
- Controller => Arduino pro mini
- Power Supply DC 5V 50W
- 12 * 10K
- 6 * 5R
- 12 * 3R
- How do we gonna make the images?
Maybe it would be a good thing to make a system to mount it, so it will no longer need to lay stand on the ground.
- UledR = 2.0->2.5V
- UledG = 3.2->3.6V
- UledB = 3.2->3.8V
- I = 350mA
- UR = VCC - UT1,2,3 - UT4 - Uled
- URR = 5V - 0.3V - 0.3V - 2.0->2.5V = 2.4->1.9V
- URG = 5V - 0.3V - 0.3V - 3.2->3.6V = 1.2->0.8V
- URB = 5V - 0.3V - 0.3V - 3.2->3.8V = 1.2->0.6V
- R = UR / I
- RR = 2.4V / 0.35A = 6.857R
- RG = 1.2V / 0.35A = 3.429R
- RB = 1.2V / 0.35A = 3.429R
note: we use the highest voltage and a slightly lower current as safety.
The power consumption of the resistors need to be calculated
- PR = UR * I
- PRR = 2.4V * 0.35A = 0.84W
- PRG,B = 1.2V * 0.35A = 0.42W
Conclusion: We will need resistors which be able to consume 1W for red and 0.5W for green and blue, or 2W and 1W if you use the safety standard of 25% spare
Because we use multiplexing...
- RR = 6.857R / 9 = 0R762 (We used 0R8 implemented as 2 resistors of 1R6 1W in parallel)
- RG = 3.429R / 9 = 0R381 (We used 0R4 implemented as 2 resistors of 0R8 1W in parallel)
- RB = 3.429R / 9 = 0R381 (We used 0R4 implemented as 2 resistors of 0R8 1W in parallel)
The base resistors of the transistors we took some basic 10K resistors.
The power of the power supply
LED max current 350mA => 9 LEDs is 3.15A.
P = U * I = 5V * 3.15A = 15.75W (a 25W supply should be enough)
if we calculate the power we give the leds it wil be maximum about 3.3V(average max LED forward voltage) * 350mA = 1.155W => 9 times = 10.395W without other parts of the circuit.
Lenses and Images
I was thinking of making a mold out of wood using the CNC and use resin & hardener to make the lenses